Thursday, March 1, 2012

Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells...

Here we were last Thursday in Vietnam Coast, a (duh) Vietnamese restaurant on Hillcroft, just south of Gessner. Pretty good place, their special tofu and lo mein with noodles are fantastic. And not wildly over-priced either.  So at one stage I notice that the special tofu order did not have the required lemon dipping sauce. Raising my right hand I try to get the attention of our wait-person who is at the other end of the dining room.

She does not see me, or at least pretends not to see me waving.  Wait-staff seem to acquire a special visual filter which makes them unable to spot any patron that needs attention, don't you think?  Anyway, a little girl - maybe 3 years old - at a table about 10 meters away does see me waving.  And waves back with a big smile.  Clearly not destined to be a wait-person when she grows up.  I smile back.  What can you do.  And wave some more in response to her enthusiastic waving.

Our waiter eventually turns up a few minutes later with the sauce and we turn to important matters at hand such as dunking the lovely light pieces of fried tofu into the lemon sauce.  Suddenly from the other side of the room I hear a tiny little voice going 'Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells.." in that familiar melody. No! Surely not?  Yes!  As I glance at my wife I can see a big grin spreading over her face. I force myself to look over to the little girl at the other table.  She is staring straight at me while repeating the phrase.  "Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, oh what fun it is to ride in a one horse open sleigh" Alas.  My very  white 'most interesting man in the world' beard has accidentally turned me into Santa Claus!  Ack.  Very funny I am sure.  Thanks little girl in the Vietnamese restaurant.

1 comment:

Amy said...

LOL! That is too funny!
Just one question - are you keeping the beard til next Christmas?