Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Finally on the right calorie track

It took a while but my weight is down by a little more than a pound, and I seem to have the daily calorie tracking process (on a 'per meal' basis) going again.  1800 calories are actually quite a lot, even spread out over 24 hours - provided you don't count the lemondrop martini. Clearly I still have a problem confining the adult beverages to 'weekends only'...  It is all about motivation, I am led to believe.  What is my motivation?  Duh, to lose weight.  Or maybe to run faster.  By losing some weight.  Can't the process be the motivation? I suppose not. You have to have a goal.  Ok then, mine is to weigh 155 lbs or less by the end of October this year.  So that I can run fast enough to qualify for the Boston Marathon.  There's motivation for you!!

Anyway I have resumed working out with a personal trainer two to three times per week, Monday, Wednesday & Friday - the third session being dependent on my schedule which can sometimes get a bit hectic on a Friday.  My trainer Amy is superb:  very encouraging with lots of positive reinforcement, a method which was sorely lacking in my younger years.  We learned and progressed mostly out of fear or necessity:  do this - or else.  Let's face it, it is much nicer having someone praise you for doing 20 push-ups than fearing a negative outcome if you fail.

Took a rest day yesterday (it is all part of Sally Edwards' program not to get injured or over-trained) and did a good 40 minute run this morning, including 2 miles in Zone 4 (140 to 158bpm). Will be joining Kathleen tonight at Rice University for a parents function from 6:00 to 7:30 - we will probably get a bite at Jenni's Noodle House afterward.  Better yet, I should prepare the Pesto Soup with Gnocchi from Post Punk Kitchen so that we can come straight home and have something that's good and good for you...

No comments: