Saturday, April 23, 2011

First 5 mile run in a while

It wasn't pretty and it wasn't fast, but I somehow managed 5 miles this morning along the Bayou, after a half mile warm-up walk with Daisy.  In preparation for starting Sally Edwards' Half marathon training program on Monday, I am trying to establish my heart rate training zones. It is proving to be rather difficult especially to nail the actual 'threshold' or T-1 level.  Supposedly it is the point at which you find it difficult to keep a normal conversation going, while running.  Doing the test this morning, I came up with 140 bpm; will work with that for now and see how it goes.  It may be a little bit higher but I really don't want to be testing the limits too soon.


I was disappointed to find that our local Borders store (well actually the one on Kirby, they closed the one near us at Gessner & Memorial) did not have a copy of 'Appetite for Reduction', Isa Moskowitz'  new vegan cookbook with lots of reduced calorie and low fat recipes. I've prepared several recipes from the book already (scrounged them from the web) including Bistro Broccoli Chowder (excellent), Vietnamese Rice Noodle Salad with Tofu (will be making it again soon!), 2nd Avenue Vegetable Korma (liked it a lot, but will spice it up a little more) and OMG Oven-baked Onion Rings (disappointing, flabby and the bread crumbs didn't stick properly).  I also tried a Cumin Lime Tofu recipe which I found on the web (apparently the recipe is from Eat, Drink & Be Vegan) and it was ok, not nearly as good as my 'standby' baked tofu recipe which is the marinated Asian tofu from Veganomicon.

This afternoon we are volunteering at a Rice University Track meet, should be interesting - and hot.  It is a scorcher and will likely top out at 90F.  With very little to no cloud cover. Should be fun!!

1 comment:

mjcaron said...

Good luck finding your heartrate zones.