Thursday, April 29, 2010

A few pics from Galveston Photo Fest

A few weeks ago I drove down to Galveston (twice) to participate in the annual Galveston Photo Fest, an offshoot of the Feather Fest, a birding convention.  I went out with a couple of groups to do some photographs of birds in flight and picked up quite a few tips from the tour leaders and later from an expert in the field, Larry Ditto.  My photographs were ok but not fantastic; put it down to the weather (gray and rather dank) and the birds being a little too far off, most of the time.  I used the Nikon 200-400 zoom lens with a 1.4 converter.  The photographs are mostly of Skimmers - what elegant birds they are - and a some egrets and an unidentified wader. My birding skills aren't what they used to be.









































This was dinner on April 28 - a Provencal-type bean salad with a tangy vinaigrette from 1000 Vegan Recipes with Baked BBQ tofu (Veganomicon) and sweet potato.  You can give me any kind of bean salad and I'm happy - this one would be a complete meal with some sliced potato or cooked pasta.


3 comments:

Amy said...

Great birding pictures! Our neighbor is a fervent bird watcher and goes on all kinds of trips all over the world to photograph them - I am always amazed at how people can look up in the sky and identify what kind of a bird it is!

Priscilla said...

That food makes me soo hungry! I am at work waiting for lunch!

Nuke Runner said...

Those photographs look fantastic to me. I'm really impressed with how well you've captured the dynamics of flight.