Saturday, February 13, 2010

Good news, bad news

The good news?  Kathleen won 2nd place in the female masters category in this morning's Run Away with my heart 5-mile run in Spring, north of Houston.  Our running club the Houston Striders swept all three places in the female masters group!  Congratulations!  The bad news?  I was in 12th place overall and feeling strong when a left calf muscle popped and I was reduced to hobbling back to the finish line.  Looks like I will be MIA from running for the next 4 to 6 weeks; will be spending more time than I care to, on the ergometer.  My calves have been supertight since the half marathon in mid January, so this was no surprise, will just have to re-instate a regular calf strengthening/stretching program.  Just when you think it is safe to get back in the water...

Other news:  the boys will be back from Uganda early next week - they had some amazing experiences with gorillas and chimpanzees.  We will be posting a trip report and pics soon!  And I managed to snag a heavily discounted ticket to South Africa, so will be there from March 4 to 15, and will be attending my 40th High School reunion. 

4 comments:

Alexandra said...

Oh! No! I'm sorry that happened to you! It's a reminder for me that I need to stretch. I have been lacking in that area and at my age, it is necessary.

Congratulations to Kathleen!

Amy said...

That's great about Kathleen but what a bummer for you! Those calf muscle are tricky...good luck with rehab.

So glad to hear you managed to get a cheap ticket and will make it to your HS reunion after all.

Billy said...

Oh wow...that sucks Bert! Baby that thing to death and be ultra conservative coming back.

Congrats to Kathleen though - that's awesome.

mjcaron said...

Congrats to Kathleen!!Bummer about your calf. Sheesh. Looking forward to the trip report. That must have been a wonderful trip.