Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Have US passport, will travel


I get to use my brand new US passport for the first time tomorrow, when I will be boarding an SAA flight out of Dulles/Washington D.C. to Johannesburg, South Africa. Starting on Friday, I will join a small group of US-based tour operators on a site inspection trip of several safari camps in the Kalahari Desert, Okavango Delta, Savute and Chobe area of Botswana. After a brief stop-over on the Zambia side of the Victoria Falls, we will return to Johannesburg out of Livingstone, and then back to the USA by Dec. 14. It promises to be hectic yet exciting, and I am very much looking forward to seeing my family briefly in Johannesburg at the start of the trip.

I'm not taking a laptop so will likely have very limited (if any) access to the internet - I will be sure to report back in some detail about the trip, with more photographs than I have used so far.

With both calves almost back to 100% I am so keen to get a run in but I haven't been able to do a thing since Sunday, due to work & other obligations, getting ready for the trip etc. I might try to sneak away in an hour or so for a quick 3 or 4 miles, if I can get my packing finalized. In Botswana, there won't be any opportunities to run, but the break will likely do me a lot of good. Hopefully I can resume serious training fresh and strong, on December 15, which will be Day 1 of my Boston program.

I won't be able to read any blog entries or post anything until at least Dec. 15 so until then, be good and drive safely!

9 comments:

Billy said...

Happy (and safe) travels Bert.

And YES - do take lots and lots of pictures!

Alexandra said...

Have a wonderful time!

Looking forward to reading and seeing what you have to share with us upon your return.

go annie said...

Have a great trip Bert! Good for you about leaving the laptop at home. Take lots of pics and enjoy your time there.

Lily on the Road said...

Safe travels Bert, just catching up with your posts over the past week or so...
Can hardly wait to hear about all of your new adventures!

Unknown said...

Bert,
Enjoy your African safari.Have a safe journey and i hope you see lots of game.We will see you on Jan Smuts airport in Johannesburg.
Bye.

Van 1- Hall said...

Safe Travels Bert, take lots of pics to post them and sneak some running in! Don't go trying to catch any cheetah.

Amy said...

Bert, have a safe and fabulous trip, enjoy your time off from both computer and running - sounds like a kind of "detox" and it surely can't hurt! Can't wait to see your pictures when you get back.

Minken said...

That sounds like a dream vacation to me!! I look forward to reading more about it when you return!

Unknown said...

Bert,
Dankie vir jou kort kuier in Johannesburg.Ja dit was goed om jou te sien,jy lyk superfiks.
Teen die tyd dat jy die boodskap lees is jy seker al terug in Houston.Ons vakansie het ook aangebreek,ons het n lekker break nodig.
Beste wense en groete tuis aan al die Duplessis